written by Martina

A Transformal haircut

Shortly before the Transformal, I went to a local hairdresser (as a boy) to have my real hair, of which there is not very much, cut. I also took a new human hair wig with me thinking I would pluck up the courage to ask the hairdresser if she could re-colour, cut and style it for me. She said she had never done it before but was willing to try; however, she would need someone to wear it while she was working on it. She then asked who it was for. I said: "If I told you it was for me, would you faint?" She laughed: a good start I thought. Sadly though, she could not fit me in before the weekend and the deal was off. (I wore a synthetic wig to the dance.)

Shortly before the Transformal, I went to a local hairdresser (as a boy) to have my real hair, of which there is not very much, cut. I also took a new human hair wig with me thinking I would pluck up the courage to ask the hairdresser if she could re-colour, cut and style it for me. She said she had never done it before but was willing to try; however, she would need someone to wear it while she was working on it. She then asked who it was for. I said: "If I told you it was for me, would you faint?" She laughed: a good start I thought. Sadly though, she could not fit me in before the weekend and the deal was off. (I wore a synthetic wig to the dance.)

The following week, I went back with the wig and made an appointment. I asked Elizabeth, the hairdresser, if it was OK if I came as a girl. She said no problem. So on Thursday I turned up in a pretty dress and a short wig but with the new wig in a bag. After swapping wigs, Elizabeth and her apprentice set to work and about 2 hours later I emerged a new and happier woman. While I was there, Elizabeth, who was not shy about asking questions, wanted to know more and I told her my history and about what being transgender meant. I added that it had been a very positive experience for me, a voyage of self-discovery and enlightenment, and really becoming myself for the first time. I was delighted that she seemed to have no hang-ups about the subject and was willing to explore and ask questions. I wish there were more people like her who are willing to accept that for some of us being male or female are not the only options.

Archive Index

Go to top