Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Petticoat Men

Petticoat Men 4 years 7 months ago #1

A while ago I discovered the joys of e Books. I am a prolific reader and can spend a fortune on books, actually in the past I have. Although I have been purchasing from places like Amazon I am also pleased to use libraries. These cost nothing apart from whatever the download charges are. One of my libraries makes suggestions and I assume that as I have reading a lot of historic novels they decided one from Victorian times might be of interest. The book, The Petticoat Men concerns two young chaps who spend a lot of time attired in fashionable drag and calling themselves Fanny and Stella.
Some might recall the names from photos of the era for these two young men actually existed and were at the height of a scandal of the era.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boulton_and_Park
www.gayleeds.com/photo/_crop/_60bd/_232/_24790_496-330.jpg
I must admit it is a riveting read, and would suggest if anyone is interested in the theme or just interested in this era of history it is quite revealing.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Suzzanne, JaneS

Petticoat Men 4 years 7 months ago #2

Your note prompted me to do some quick online research and that has really excited my interest. I shall indeed be looking to track the book down. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
  • JaneS
  • ACT
The following user(s) said Thank You: ClaireStafford

Petticoat Men 4 years 7 months ago #3

You're welcome for that. I must admit to being pleasantly surprised when I read the wealth of books about these two, if you Google these can be found.

Petticoat Men 4 years 6 months ago #4

Hi, further on regarding 'Stella and Fanny' I found a photo of a plaque commemorating their activities

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Adrian. Reason: Broken link
The following user(s) said Thank You: JaneS

Latest Posts

Go to top